Friday 11 July 2008

Style Inspiration: Flapper



I normally consider myself to be a bit of a 40's girl when it comes to fashion. Cinched waists, floral patterns and court shoes appeal to me no end - but recently I'm becoming drawn towards the more cheeky and liberating look of the 1920's. Back then, socialites, or 'flappers' as they were known carvorted around London going to parties, flirting, smoking and generally behaving in a rather unladylike manner. This is not dissimilar to today, except back then they did it with a lot more style. (sorry, Peaches!)

So, what does a flapper wear? Well, to my knowledge; drop-waisted dresses with lots of beading, embroidery and fringing, cloche hats, fur coats, long strings of pearls, brooches, and plenty deep red lippy. Oh - and don't forget the gorgeous little bob, permed to perfection.

There's nothing like a bit of good, old fashioned rebellion!



No comments: